An opportunity to study in China is here with the announcement of the Shanghai Government Scholarship Program. This Scholarship program is for 2024-25 and thoroughly covers the expenses of international students of the Bachelor’s, Master’s, and PhD levels. Only non-Chinese students are eligible for the said program.
The Shanghai Government established this scholarship in 2006 to improve education quality. The scholarship covers multiple fields: philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, management, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, and art.
The Shanghai Government provides two kinds of scholarships: Type A, which offers a fully funded scholarship, including exemption from tuition fees, on-campus accommodation, comprehensive medical insurance, and a monthly living allowance. An attractive monthly stipend of up to CNY3500 awaits the students. Type B, which provides a partial scholarship. The application deadline varies from January to January every year.
Shanghai Government Scholarship 2024 Summary & Details:
|17 August 2023
|Deadline to Apply
|Between January to January Every Year
|Level of Study
|Bachelor, Masters, PhD.
Benefits of Shanghai Government Scholarship 2024-25
The Shanghai Government Scholarship (SGS) offers recipients two different types of scholarships.
- Type A refers to a full scholarship.
- Students exempt from full tuition fees can also stay on campus and receive comprehensive medical insurance.
- Additionally, they will receive a monthly living expense allowance based on their program level: CNY3500 for doctoral programs, CNY3000 for graduate programs, and CNY2500 for undergraduate programs.
- This type is considered a Type B partial scholarship.
- Not charged for tuition and given full medical insurance coverage.
List of Shanghai universities
The selected universities are listed below:
- Fudan University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine
- Tongji University
- East China Normal University
- East China University of Science and Technology
- Shanghai International Studies University
- Donghua University
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
- Shanghai University
- University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
- Shanghai Maritime University
- Shanghai Conservatory of Music
- Shanghai Theatre Academy
- Shanghai University of Sport
- East China University of Political Science and Law
- Shanghai Ocean University
- Shanghai University of Electric Power
- Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Shanghai Normal University
- Shanghai University of International Business and Economics
- Shanghai University of Engineering Science
- Shanghai Lixin University of Accounting and Finance
- Shanghai Dianji University
- Shanghai Institute of Technology
- Shanghai Business School
- Shanghai University of Political Science and Law
- Sanda University
- Shanghai Jian Qiao University
- Shanghai University of Medicine & Health Sciences
- China Europe International Business School
- Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences
Eligibility Criteria of Shanghai Government Scholarship 2024-25
To obtain the Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Chinese language proficiency in HSK4 is mandatory, and applicants must meet the language needs of the university & application program.
- International students, except Chinese citizens, can apply for this scholarship.
- Applicants under 23 must have a high school diploma to study pre-college program.
- The BS level students under 25 must have a high school diploma.
- The MS degree applicants under 35 must possess a Bachelor’s degree.
- While under 40, Master’s degree holders are eligible for the Doctoral degree program.
- Applicants must have outstanding academic performance and meet the entry requirements of the university and program.
- Applicants who have already received other scholarships from the Chinese government or organizations are not eligible to apply for this program.
Documents required for Shanghai Government Scholarship 2024-25
Below, we will discuss the documents required to apply for this scholarship.
- The application form requires the submission of academic transcripts with authentic translations if they are in a language other than Chinese/English.
- A health certificate and blood test copy are necessary; the original documents should be brought when entering China.
- A photocopy of the passport, including all Chinese visa pages, is also essential.
- Certificates of awards in high school are not mandatory.
- Applicants under 18 must provide a Guardian’s Letter of Guarantee.
How to Apply for a Shanghai Government Scholarship 2024-25
To apply for the Shanghai Government Scholarship, read the provided instructions.
- Applicants have to download the application form via this website: https://study.edu.sh.gov.cn/en/ise.html.
- They need to mail two sets of hard-copy application documents to the university.
- Moreover, check emails regularly for important updates.
- The application results will be announced online and admitted students must bring their original graduation certificate and diploma to register.
- Failure to provide these certificates will result in enrollment cancellation.
- The final date to apply for the Shanghai Government Scholarship varies from January to January every year.